KABUL, Jan. 11 (Xinhua) — The Afghan government was criticized for failing to ensure the security in the country after more than three dozen people, mostly civilians, lost their lives in terrorist attacks that shocked Afghan capital Kabul and Kandahar, the major city in the south of the insurgency-hit Afghanistan on Tuesday.
Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani has strongly denounced the terror attacks and said that the Taliban by committing terrorist attacks once again claimed the lives of innocent civilians including women and demonstrated their enmity with Afghans and humanity.
In Kabul’s two suicide bombings for which Taliban militants have claimed responsibility, 28 people including 24 civilians and four police personnel had been killed and more than 60 others sustained injuries, the Interior Ministry confirmed in a statement released here on Wednesday.
According to the statement, a terrorist blew himself up Tuesday afternoon next to a building where sub-offices of the country’s parliament was located and when people gathered to rescue the affected persons, the second suicide bomber detonated his suicide vest, killing himself and several others on the spot.
Immediately after the twin deadly bombings, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility saying the armed militant group targeted personnel of intelligence agency inflicting casualties.
Similarly on Tuesday evening, two more blasts in a guesthouse of Kandahar’s provincial government had left 11 people including deputy governor dead and 13 others injured, provincial police chief Abdul Razaq said Wednesday.
Five nationals of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are also reportedly among those killed in the bloody bombings.
Afghans from all walks of life have condemned the deadly attacks and criticized the government over what they have termed the “government failure” to ensure security in the city.
“Conducting two suicide bombings in a span of a few minutes on the busy Dar-ul-Aman Road displays the security lapse,” a lawmaker Shukiba Hashimi told local media.
“We have lost the hope for the future and no one knows if he or she returns home safe in the evening,” a street vender Mohammad Yaqub told Xinhua.
Another Kabul resident Mohammad Murad whispered that “more negligence would claim more lives from Afghans.”
Source: Fresh News – Deadly terrorist attacks in Kabul, Kandahar reveal security lapse in Afghanistan