Inquiry Submission By AndreaExpat
Recommendations for Siem Reap:
We used to live here in SR and things have changed so much. When searching TA Siem Reap Forum, I suggest choosing “Date” over “Relevance” and look at only recent year or two.
1. We were happy with both hotels we chose, but in different ways. Shadow Angkor Residence had great location by Psar Cha and large family rooms for four. No pool at sister location as promised. Breakfast and staff ok.
Memoire d’Angkor Hotel had a beautiful pool area with swinging poolside bed-chairs, amazing breakfast (cheese & cold cut selections and options like eggs florentine), and very professional & friendly staff. A bit of a walk to Old Market/Psa Cha to a selection of restaurants.
2. Great tuktuk driver, Mr. Poly. I knew him when he was the manager of a disabled persons, fair trade certified store in SR. He charges $15/day to Temples ($20 if you want to leave at 4:30am for sunrise); $5 to airport. Very fluent English speaker. [email protected] site or ph: 855(0)12 813 840.
3. Very little fair trade shopping options compared to past. Made in Cambodia Market had some nice options.
4. Favorite restaurants were Cousin Garden, Tevy’s, Khmer Kitchen (cashewnut milkshake $1.50), & the Christa Restaurant. All had vegetarian options.
5. Going to Tonle Sap: Boat ride fee is per person ($15-20/pp). Climbing to top of Phnom Krom requires Angkor Wat pass or bribe, but climbing just the stairs is nice and free. Take a rest & beer in a hammock restaurant overlooking rice fields on the way back to SR.